cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:43:08 GMT
On 4/14/05, Upayavira <uv@upaya.co.uk> wrote:
> Skip Carter wrote:
> > I'd rather not see one.  At least if one is developed,
> > there needs remain to be a way to install from the command
> > line.  ALL of my cocoon installations are on headless systems,
> > and some of them are remote, so a GUI is not really very practical.
>
> There is no way that such an installer would replace the current system,
> merely augment it. This installer is nothing more than a wrapper around
> our existing Ant scripts anyway. After all, many Cocoon installations
> are on headless servers. The intention was to smooth over that early
> stage of usage when someone is at the beginning of learning Cocoon.
> Throwing them into having to copy and edit text files when they first
> start IMO introduces complexity that they could well do with learning a
> little later in their involvement with Cocoon.
>
> But, having said that, it doesn't seem like people are that keen on the
> idea anyway.

I think without the license problems people might be in favour or
least neutral.

Perhaps you could include the config script with Cocoon with a pointer
to the Source Forge project?  Alternately, maybe you could donate the
config file to the Source Forge project and include something in the
Cocoon docs...

--
Peter Hunsberger