cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:43:08 GMT
On 4/14/05, Upayavira <> wrote:
> Skip Carter wrote:
> > I'd rather not see one.  At least if one is developed,
> > there needs remain to be a way to install from the command
> > line.  ALL of my cocoon installations are on headless systems,
> > and some of them are remote, so a GUI is not really very practical.
> There is no way that such an installer would replace the current system,
> merely augment it. This installer is nothing more than a wrapper around
> our existing Ant scripts anyway. After all, many Cocoon installations
> are on headless servers. The intention was to smooth over that early
> stage of usage when someone is at the beginning of learning Cocoon.
> Throwing them into having to copy and edit text files when they first
> start IMO introduces complexity that they could well do with learning a
> little later in their involvement with Cocoon.
> But, having said that, it doesn't seem like people are that keen on the
> idea anyway.

I think without the license problems people might be in favour or
least neutral.

Perhaps you could include the config script with Cocoon with a pointer
to the Source Forge project?  Alternately, maybe you could donate the
config file to the Source Forge project and include something in the
Cocoon docs...

Peter Hunsberger

View raw message