cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Ann/RFC] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:38:04 GMT
On Apr 12, 2005 5:50 AM, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
> > Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<big snip/>

> So in the end, my opinion is that sitemap fragments for VPCs should be
> declared in their own section of the sitemap, just as views, resources
> and flows. Components for VPCs will be added to the ServiceManager by
> the TreeBuilder (let's recall that TreeBuilder has full control on the
> ServiceManager as it is the one that creates it).
>
> Rather than having TreeProcessor and ServiceManager mix their stuff in a
> single <map:components>, this allows the TreeProcessor to augment the
> ServiceManager with components that are aliased to their corresponding
> processing nodes. Concerns a kept separate for the sitemap writer, but
> remain unified as regular components from the outside world.
>
> So, WDYT?

That makes a whole lot of sense to me.  Even if you don't need to
implement any new kinds of sitemap processing on VPCs having a
separate section for them allows you to wrap the parsing of that
section in a clean way. If you reuse component parsing great, the VPC
wrapper can just inherit or reuse the component parsing, but if at
some point in the future a new use case is found where simple
component parsing is not sufficient then you've already got the hooks
in place for adding something new without requiring a new version of
the sitemap.

IOW, having a separate VPC section in the sitemap helps make the
sitemap forward compatible for any future requirements, where as using
naming hacks in existing sections of the sitemap may be rather fragile
in the long run.

--
Peter Hunsberger