cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Java components in blocks
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:28:48 GMT

On Apr 18, 2005, at 7:05 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>> The portal definition files define how individual portlets are
>> invoked and rendered.  As I stated before, ideally these would be
>> separate blocks. However, since many will contain java code, it
>> sounds like many portlets would have to be a block with a matching
>> bundle.
>
> A block can contain code. It is just (at least in the first step) not
> allowed to expose components. So if the portlet components need to be
> accessible from other parts of the system you need both a bundle and a
> block. But if the components only are needed internally and the
> portlet can expose all its functionality as pipeline functionality, it
> is enough with a block.

Sorry to be late to the party, but I was unsure where this discussion
was headed and choose to keep my mouth shut. I'm glad to see to that
blocks can have code again.;-)  I think the issue of exposing
components is a non issue. We are after all talking about java byte
code, if some one wants to use the jar/class file it just needs to be
on the classpath. The issue here is one of deployment, where to locate
the class and which ClassLoader will load the class. It seems to me
that if we have two component deployment levels, global and sitemap, we
can pretty much accomplish the same thing as exposing or not exposing
components.

WDYT?

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting