cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Arbogast <sebastien.arbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Apache Cocoon in Action" suggestion and call for opinions
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 05:47:53 GMT
> So a crucial point is that any docs effort/tool/whatever has to allow
> us to work in small increments and be useful, without leaving
> half-finished work behind us. Something requiring big stretches of
> continuous work is useless ATM.

And still... now I can realize how learning how to use a powerful tool
such as Cocoon is a long and hard process, all the more so when the
documentation is made up of small chunks of information. It's better
than nothing and for reference documentation it can be enough, but I
think that at least we should try to do something more coherent and
linear for that kind of learning path tutorial. So I'm aware of the
difficulties of such work in Open Source community work, but some
projects manage to do that and to achieve wonderful huge coherent
documentation. Have you ever browsed the documentation of Typo3 CMS :
it's unbelievable how complete and well written it is. There are even
some video tutorials. It's really amazing. And there are others such
projects.

I think the key is to setup tools to optimize communication,
participation, collaboration and workflow management. A mail list and
a SVN repository are not enough to achieve such a monolithic work. And
that's what we are going to try to do. Maybe I'm idealistic, maybe it
won't be enough, but I want to try...

--
Sebastien ARBOGAST