cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Arbogast <sebastien.arbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Apache Cocoon in Action" suggestion and call for opinions
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:42:21 GMT
Oh yes I totally agree with that. As a matter of format and technical
infrastructure, it is the best solution and we could just make a new
documentation branch at the top level. What I meant by "in parallel" I
had content progression in mind, just to be sure that new users could
see the difference between the three types of documentation.
Maybe we could add a new entry in "Tutorials" tab under "Getting
started", or even create a new tab between "Tutorials" and
"Documentation". That's what I was thinking of.

BTW I'm gonna try to download and build this new documentation in
local to see what it's like...

On 4/13/05, Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org> wrote:
> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >>Why in parallel? Look at http://brutus.apache.org/docs/build/cocoon-2-2/. This
> >>build already contains an improved structure that is similar to yours that
> >>reflects Cocoon 2.2 in a better way than the current 2.1 docs do (although
> >>Upayavira and I discussed this for hours, this doesn't mean that it is carved
in
> >>stone).
> >>

> > I think I didn't insist enough on why I'm thinking of ANOTHER
> > documentation process.
> > The objectives of the tutorial I'm thinking of and the ones of the
> > documentation you're talking about seem to be completely different. In
> > fact I think that Cocoon needs another level of documentation between
> > Getting Started guides that can be found in some places, and the
> > Cocoon reference that already exists and that you guys are starting to
> > reorganize. Of course it could reuse a few articles of introduction
> > but as the objectives would be different, the approach would be too
> > and the aim would be to finally have 3 levels of documentation in a
> > coherent path like :
> > 1 - Getting started with Cocoon
> > 2 - Cocoon in Action
> > 3 - Cocoon reference
> > Stop me if I'm wrong but it seems that the third level is what your
> > documentation is about, not that I deny the interest of it but as a
> > user I think it's not enough.
> > And I think it's very important to make things clear and to
> > differentiate levels of documentation because they correspond to very
> > different stages in the "learning cocoon" process.
> > Maybe it could be useful to repost this thread on users list to see
> > what users think of this idea, if they would find it useful to have
> > such an intermediate guide.
>
> I agree with you that this is necessary but my question remains: Why not
> integrating type 2 docs into the new doc repository?
>
> --
> Reinhard Pötz           Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach
>
> {Software Engineering, Open Source, Web Applications, Apache Cocoon}
>
>                                         web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Sebastien ARBOGAST