cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manually specifying a mounted sub sitemap's context
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:51:49 GMT
Le 9 avr. 05, à 19:21, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
> ...Cocoon is sometimes too much powerful and people use too much
> "cocoon:" dynamic URLs when other systems would require to dump
> something on disk, and this can lead to overly complex and and very
> unefficient architectures.
>
> So, although we may accept a new "context" attribute (I'm currently
> -0.9 for this), I'm -1 for accepting dynamically generated sitemaps...

Hmm...sounds a bit like the arguments against XWindows when it was
created: at that time most people couldn't afford the system and
network resources used to run it. But the "processors and networks get
faster all the time anyway" attitude made XWindows a very long-lasting
and powerful system.

So, although dynamically generated sitemaps might be risky
performance-wise today, I don't think we should block them.  People
might find brilliant uses for them - we just have to warn our users
about potential bottlenecks.

-Bertrand