cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Kuhnle <li...@kuhnle.net>
Subject Re: Manually specifying a mounted sub sitemap's context
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:47:00 GMT
Hi Sylvain,

I agree that generated sitemaps are a somewhat more sophisticated use of
Cocoon. However, I think it is a nice feature to have. My main reason for
this is that I want to hide the nuts and bolts of sitemaps from site
maintainers and just want to give them a limited subset (or high-level XML
description) for the one specific site that is easy to understand and
maintain. So why not pre-generate it? So no-one ever forgets to do it! I
found that it is quite efficient to generate the sitemap dynamically.
Since the sitemap-pipeline is created by a developer who knows more about
this stuff (including caching) than a maintainer, I think we can assume it
will be cacheable. Of course optimum support here would be to have the
map:mount code write "DANGER! Your sitemap pipeline is not cacheable" to
the log, but I don't think this is necessary.

In addition, I can think of use cases where specifiable contexts might
come in handy even for "normal" sitemaps. One is that you maybe want to
differentiate access rights to sitemaps from access rights to content.
With a specifiable context, you could move all sitemaps into a special
sitemap-directory (or tree), separate from the content, and still avoid
ugly directory traversal prefixes to content files (<map:generate
type="jx" src="../../../path/to/the/content/directory/page.jx"/>). You get
"nicer" sitemaps, and you just have to set file permissions on two
directories (the sitemap and the site directory) instead of each and every
file.

Regards,
Jochen

Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org>
09.04.2005 19:21
Please respond to
dev@cocoon.apache.org

dev@cocoon.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Manually specifying a mounted sub sitemap's context

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Hi Jochen,
>
>your idea sounds good to me. Can you please add a feature request to
>bugzilla with your patch?

Well, having dynamically generated sitemaps doesn't seem that good to me.

About Gianugo's problem: we had a discussion where it appears the
sitemap is the by-product of some higher-level XML description, hence
why he wanted to use "cocoon:".

Now using a pipeline as the sitemap source can have a tremendous cost if
that pipeline isn't cacheable, and in Gianugo's case I suggested him to
generate the sitemap on disk when the higher-level description changes,
which doesn't happen so often.

Cocoon is sometimes too much powerful and people use too much "cocoon:"
dynamic URLs when other systems would require to dump something on disk,
and this can lead to overly complex and and very unefficient
architectures.

So, although we may accept a new "context" attribute (I'm currently -0.9
for this), I'm -1 for accepting dynamically generated sitemaps.

Jochen, can you elaborate on your use case?

Sylvain