cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoonlet
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:58:23 GMT

On Apr 27, 2005, at 3:39 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Our current (controversial ;) ) plan is to consider the sitemap and
>> the component aspect of the original block proposal as separate
>> concerns and (at least initially) solve them separately.
>
> I propose less controversial plan.
>
> As the first step, implement what you call "sitemap blocks", but call
> them simply "blocks". Own classloader, full classloading isolation,
> block protocol, exposing direct sitemap components: generators,
> transformers, serializers.
>
> As the second step, implement "components block" *on top of* "sitemap
> blocks". This introduces second classloader (one is public, to share
> component interfaces, and one is private, to contain components
> implementation and libraries), and logic for managing classloader
> trees. Still call it simply "block".

Works for me. I think making distinctions among different types of
blocks can only lead to confusion. After all, blocks are about
component-izing Coccon. Much of the recent discussion has centered on
the issues of extensibility and visibility. These issues, while
important, are what makes the implementation of blocks complex. The
incremental approach would be to develop block deployment and access
mechanisms using the current sitemap mechanisms for controlling
visibility, class loading, etc. Once that is accomplished the
additional features can be incorporated one at a time. Evolving block
features will likely lead to a better, more maintainable and extensible
over all design. (Besides it will likely get real blocks here faster.)

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com

A Proverb for Paranoids: