cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Alternative frameworks
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:40:29 GMT
Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
>>There are some at http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/SimilarServers
>

> Yes but those are mainly XML frameworks. I think what's interesting
> with Upayavira's suggestion is more the technological overview
> concerning what you need.
> For example if you are looking for some MVC framework, there is Cocoon
> but also Struts or webwork for example.
> SimilarServers page is fine if you concentrate on one technological
> aspect of server-side framework : XML processing capabilities.
> It could be a good idea to make a list of what IS Cocoon (MVC, web
> application development environment, XML processing framework,
> publication framework) and then to list possible "competitors" for
> each aspect, pointing out that one of the great strengths of Cocoon is
> that it can do all of that, and even more in the future thanks to
> blocks : WebServices server, etc.

I in part like this idea, but the problem is that we become in danger of
stating our own perceptions, e.g. "Struts is an MVC system", by placing
our own categorisation over the top. That, really, is what I want to
avoid as much as possible.

However, to see how this might look, and seeing as you appear to have
some grasp of the field, would you be willing to draft a page that we
can review?

Regards, Upayavira