cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:53:11 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>

>>> I can see this being useful for first time cocooners.
>>>
>>> What if the cocoon build switches to maven (as rumoured a few times
>>> already)? Can the tool be extended to handle this? Will you need
>>> seperate logic to handle the 2.2 block configuration?
>>

>> If it can be done from Ant, it can be done with this tool. All it
>> does is collects properties and delivers them to Ant.
>

>>> Overall, IMO the potential effort of maintaining such a tool isn't
>>> worth the benefit.
>>

>> Maybe. Which is why I was asking!
>>
>> The effort to maintain for 2.1 is pretty minimal - it would just be a
>> single XSLT on gump.xml and a few jars in the repo. For 2.2, well,
>> we'll need to see what that is before we can decide!
>

> Well if it's no effort i don't see why it couldn't be added to the
> next release as an experiment (pending license issues ofcourse). As
> long as you make sure that the users know it's just a toy-experiment
> and nothing more there should be no harm.
>

> Actually, will/should Lepido provide anything like this? Any
> Lepido'ers care to comment?

Sorry for the late answer. The list is very busy lately and me too ;-)

Yes, an installer, or more specifically a "new project wizard", is one
the goals of Lepido. However, I may seem overkill for a newcomer that
just wants to try out Cocoon to add another huge download to the alreay
large Cocoon distro.

So this effort is welcome. The licence problem seems to be a blocker
though, since a graphical installer is supposed to make people's life
easier, and having to download the installer libraries separately is
definitely not easy!

Sylvain