cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:29:44 GMT
Skip Carter wrote:
> I'd rather not see one.  At least if one is developed,
> there needs remain to be a way to install from the command
> line.  ALL of my cocoon installations are on headless systems,
> and some of them are remote, so a GUI is not really very practical.

There is no way that such an installer would replace the current system,
merely augment it. This installer is nothing more than a wrapper around
our existing Ant scripts anyway. After all, many Cocoon installations
are on headless servers. The intention was to smooth over that early
stage of usage when someone is at the beginning of learning Cocoon.
Throwing them into having to copy and edit text files when they first
start IMO introduces complexity that they could well do with learning a
little later in their involvement with Cocoon.

But, having said that, it doesn't seem like people are that keen on the
idea anyway.

Regrards, Upayavira