cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:46:04 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>

>> 1) It won't actually run Ant yet. It isn't likely to be much to make
>> it do it, but I haven't given it the time yet.
>> 2) In its current state, it is GPL licenced. The author has said he's
>> happy to change licence
>> 3) It includes GPL libraries. I'd need to see if the author is
>> prepared to remove these from it
>> 4) The block selection is pretty laborious now. I would extend the
>> installer app so that we can have a single selection box, where we
>> tick/untick each block, and scroll down.
>> 5) I haven't tested the gui.cmd script, but it should work, as the
>> settings are the same as the Unix script.
>>
> (gui.cmd works)
>
> I take it that antinstall-config.xml is (will be) autogenerated from the
> blocks configuration files?

This time round it was generated from the blocks.properties with a Perl
script. In future it would come from an XSLT on the gump.xml file. Yes.

>> Thoughts?
>
> I can see this being useful for first time cocooners.
>
> What if the cocoon build switches to maven (as rumoured a few times
> already)? Can the tool be extended to handle this? Will you need
> seperate logic to handle the 2.2 block configuration?

If it can be done from Ant, it can be done with this tool. All it does
is collects properties and delivers them to Ant.

> Overall, IMO the potential effort of maintaining such a tool isn't worth
> the benefit.

Maybe. Which is why I was asking!

The effort to maintain for 2.1 is pretty minimal - it would just be a
single XSLT on gump.xml and a few jars in the repo. For 2.2, well, we'll
need to see what that is before we can decide!

Regards, Upayavira