cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xsp depending on session-fw?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:02:32 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>So we agreed to cut the dependencies and move the logicsheet to the XSP
>>block and make the rest of Cocoon XSP free! In fact this reverses the
>>dependencies so one idea was to make the additional blocks mentioned above.
>

> It does ....but TBH:
>
> having a some classes or a logicsheet inside a block is only a weak
> dependency while having all xsp related classes and logicsheet inside
> the xsp block is a strong compile time dependency.
>
> Sorry to bring this up again ...but it's really annoying and does
> not really help anything IMHO. Creating a block just for those few
> classes or files feels like bloat to me.

Yeah, sure - but as we regard XSP as legacy and other blocks like
session-fw are not legacy, the dependencies like they are now should
cause less pain. It seems wrong to me that a non legacy block depends on
a legacy one; even if only a small part is affected.

Don't get me wrong, but if we move things back now (and I'm really -1 on
this), we will have the same discussion again in lets say three months
and everything is questioned again.

So, again in general you're right :) but in this case with XSP being
legacy it's imho better this way. I personally would not create extra
blocks just for the logicsheets but leave them in the XSP block. But
*if* XSP users *really* can't live with this extra dependency *than* the
solution is to create this extra blocks.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/