cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:15:19 GMT
In the work I've been doing with Snapbridge recently, I came across a
rather neat GUI installer, that basically provides a front end to Ant.

To demonstrate what we _could_ do, if we wanted to, I've knocked up an
example of how it might work. You can download it from here:

http://www.odoko.co.uk/installer.zip

Just unzip this in the root of your 2.1.X checkout, and run either
gui.sh or gui.cmd.

Some notes about this installer:

1) It won't actually run Ant yet. It isn't likely to be much to make it
do it, but I haven't given it the time yet.
2) In its current state, it is GPL licenced. The author has said he's
happy to change licence
3) It includes GPL libraries. I'd need to see if the author is prepared
to remove these from it
4) The block selection is pretty laborious now. I would extend the
installer app so that we can have a single selection box, where we
tick/untick each block, and scroll down.
5) I haven't tested the gui.cmd script, but it should work, as the
settings are the same as the Unix script.

The installer home is at antinstaller.sourceforge.net.

Thoughts?

Regards, Upayavira