cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r161067 - cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/pipeline/AbstractProcessingPipeline.java
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:02:16 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> sylvain@apache.org wrote:
>

>>              } catch (ProcessingException e) {
>> +                // Log the original exception
>> +                getLogger().error("Failed to process error handler
>> for exception", e);
>>                  throw e;
>

> I think we had an agreement against mile-long log files. Why log
> exception here if it will be logged later on (by the caller)?

Oops, sorry. I wanted to log "ex", the original exception, that got lost
if there was an exception in the error handler.

>>              } catch (Exception e) {
>>                  throw new ProcessingException("Failed to handle
>> exception <" + ex + ">", e);
>>              }
>

> (note: here it is logged at all)

Yep. But here again we loose the original exception's stacktrace.

BTW, talking about mile-long logs: we hava a number of exception classes
that log themselves and their chainged exception if present. And there
are also some exceptions (like SAXException) that can be chained but
don't log their cause. Add to this JDK 1.4's printStackTrace that also
prints the stacktrace of nested exceptions.

The result is that we currently can have some exceptions being dumped
multiple times because they are dumped by their parent and also by the
JDK 1.4, and other exceptions whose cause is not printed in the logs at
all because they're shielded by their wrapping exception.

So, what about:
- remove the printStackTrace() methods that also print the stacktrace of
nested exceptions
- add a new %{rootThrowable} for the CocoonLogFormatter that prints the
root exception, as given by NotifyingBuilder.getRootCause.

Sylvain