cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Directory structure of blocks
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:53:22 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>

>> Thanks Geoff and Vadim
>>
>> as we already had a vote, we should respect the result and have
>> following intra-block file-system structure:

>> [cocoon block] [DIR]
>>  +-- COB-INF [DIR]
>>       +-- block.xml
>>       +-- classes [DIR]
>>       +-- lib [DIR]
>

> Question.  What else is in a block that requires that COB-INF exist at
> all?  Why can't it just be:
> [cocoon block] [DIR]
> +--block.xml
> +--classes [DIR]
> +--lib [DIR]

security and folder namespacing. just like for webapps, those folders
contain potentially sensitive information (the executable code), it's
easier to state that any path that contains "COB-INF" being read only,
so, even if you had weird bugs, you could prevent people to inject their
malicious code in there.

True, the sitemap is already a big step in preventing this, but having a
rurther isolation doesn't hurt and also is a recognized thing for
webapps and people will feel at ease with the separation between "stuff"
and "code".

--
Stefano.