cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Re: [Ann/RFC] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:05:13 GMT
Peter Hunsberger wrote:

>On Apr 12, 2005 5:50 AM, Sylvain Wallez <> wrote:
>>Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
><big snip/>
>>So in the end, my opinion is that sitemap fragments for VPCs should be
>>declared in their own section of the sitemap, just as views, resources
>>and flows. Components for VPCs will be added to the ServiceManager by
>>the TreeBuilder (let's recall that TreeBuilder has full control on the
>>ServiceManager as it is the one that creates it).
>>Rather than having TreeProcessor and ServiceManager mix their stuff in a
>>single <map:components>, this allows the TreeProcessor to augment the
>>ServiceManager with components that are aliased to their corresponding
>>processing nodes. Concerns a kept separate for the sitemap writer, but
>>remain unified as regular components from the outside world.
>>So, WDYT?
>That makes a whole lot of sense to me.  Even if you don't need to
>implement any new kinds of sitemap processing on VPCs having a
>separate section for them allows you to wrap the parsing of that
>section in a clean way. If you reuse component parsing great, the VPC
>wrapper can just inherit or reuse the component parsing, but if at
>some point in the future a new use case is found where simple
>component parsing is not sufficient then you've already got the hooks
>in place for adding something new without requiring a new version of
>the sitemap.
>IOW, having a separate VPC section in the sitemap helps make the
>sitemap forward compatible for any future requirements, where as using
>naming hacks in existing sections of the sitemap may be rather fragile
>in the long run.
There is not that much code to reuse or keeping forward compatible. You
can take a look yourself in

ComponentsNodeBuilder, VPCsNodeBuilder, VPCNodeBuilder and VPCNode.

And the sitemap engine is so flexible that it would be rather easy to
change syntax.

So I don't see this so much as an implementation question as a
conceptual question. Are we considering the VPCs as sitemap components
or something else, to me they look like sitemap components.

View raw message