cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Directory structure of blocks
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:33:51 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>> [cocoon block] [DIR]
>>  +-- BLOCK-INF [DIR]
>>       +-- block.xml
>>       +-- classes [DIR]
>>       +-- lib [DIR]
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> Again, to sound stupid, but why in the world a cocoon block would
> contain classes and libraries? Those should be external "components"
> _required_ by the block, right???

???

<quote wiki="http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BlocksDefinition">
[...]
Accessing components

The block.xml descriptor includes the list of components which are exposed and
made available by the block.

Blocks that depend on this block use the component role (as they normally did
with block-less cocoon) and the component manager will load the appropriate
component. Everything is done by the component manager and the block manager
thru block.xml and wiring information.
[...]
</quote>

In the meantime it's not the block descriptor anymore, that has the list of
Avalon components which are exposed, but the block's root sitemap. (Here we need
some more work what we do with alternative IoC implementations like Spring but
this is one of the topics that should be discussed after we have a working
implementation.)

So a (maybe stupid) answer to your question: In order to provide components (in
Java) we need Java binaries that contain them, either classes or libraries ...

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc