cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Re: Starting to work on the Block[s]Manager
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:32:26 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>> To be able to start I need some deployed blocks and a wiring.xml
> see
> This should be the contract.
>> to test things against. Do you have any suggestions about how to
>> achieve that?
> after reading "The Pragmatic Programmer" we should follow Hunt's and
> Thomas' "tracer bullets" idea: we setup a complete system and make the
> key parts working ASAP and show that the the concept works. (!=
> prototype!!!)

Have not read that one, but I had something like that in mind.

> In concrete, if I were you, I would write the wiring.xml by hand, make
> sure that it validates against the above schema (note: this schema is
> NOT carved in stone - it should be driven by *your* needs and not
> mine!) and put it into /WEB-INF/blocks/wiring.xml.

Sure. I thought that if you allready had something working or almost
working we could use that. But until then I'll write something by hand.

> The wired blocks have an attribute "location" which only supports file
> locations:
> <block id=""
>          location="./384938958499">
> which could point during development whereever you want to:
> <block id=""
>          location="../../../bla/myBlock">
> I'd propose

I go for that.

> the contract is the XML schema (cob-schema and wiring-schema). As long
> as they don't change, there shouldn't be any problems on both sides.

Ok, I had some remembrance that we had decided to have a particular
directory structure on the COBs, but I couldn't find any documentation
on that, do you have any link or example?

View raw message