cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [Ann/RFC] Virtual Sitemap Components
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:31:02 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

<snip/>

>> What about either:
>> - leave them in <map:components> but with special element names, e.g.
>> <map:virtual-generator> that maps to the VirtualPipelineGenerator class
>

> It can be
>   <map:components>
>     <map:generators>
>       <map:virtual name="a">
>
> That's enough information to build it.
>

>> - or separate them in a <map:virtual-components> section just as we
>> have today <map:resources> and <map:views>?
>

> What would happen with default component? If we go this route,

>    </map:components>
>
>    <map:virtual>
>      <map:transformers default="???">
>        <map:transformer name="a">
>        </map:transformer>
>      </map:transformers>
>    </map:virtual>
>
> What will be in place of "???", and how this would relate to the
> default transformer in the map:components section?
>

>> I would favor the second solution, even if this doesn't seem to be
>> absolutely necessary for the implementation.
>

> I'd prefer first solution, which lacks the problem of default components.

Agree.

> <snip/>
>
>>> VPCs are not cacheable yet. Its probably not that hard to add
>>> caching, but it requires that we extend the ProcessingPipeline
>>> interface with some methods that are needed for VPCs. It also
>>> requires that we find some syntax for declaring what pipeline type
>>> that should be used for a specific VPC.
>>

> Not sure that this is desired.

Which of it?

> We should have configurable caching, with following levels of caching:
>
>   * No Caching: Returns null key
>   * Caching: Returns pipeline key, validity
>   * Caching, with private cache: Same as above,
>     plus caches output of the pipeline locally (same as
>     caching pipeline).

Any suggestions about where we should configure the caching and how to
implement it?

I would prefer merging the functionality in the
AbstractProcessingPipeline and the VirtualProcessingPipeline to reduce
code duplication and to be able to reuse the already implemented caching
pipeline.

/Daniel