cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting to work on the Block[s]Manager
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:41:56 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>

> <snip/>
>
>>> The SingleBlockLocator should be in src/impl/ rather test/junit I
>>> assume. Now it is not found during compilation.
>>

>> fixed, thanks for reviewing
>>
>> (being happy that at least one person has had a look at it :-) )
>

> Not so much to be happy about yet ;) I checked out the code and tried to
> compile it.
>
> The reason for that is that I want to start working on the
> Block[s]Manager and the block protocol.

yeah!

> After the recent discussion
> about the block protocol I think we know enough to be able to implement
> the sitemap based part of real blocks. We still need to research more
> about how to export components, but we can take care about that in the
> next step.

yes

> To be able to start I need some deployed blocks and a wiring.xml

see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/schema/wiring-schema-1.0.xsd

This should be the contract.

> to test
> things against. Do you have any suggestions about how to achieve that?

after reading "The Pragmatic Programmer" we should follow Hunt's and Thomas'
"tracer bullets" idea: we setup a complete system and make the key parts working
ASAP and show that the the concept works. (!= prototype!!!)

In concrete, if I were you, I would write the wiring.xml by hand, make sure that
it validates against the above schema (note: this schema is NOT carved in stone
- it should be driven by *your* needs and not mine!) and put it into
/WEB-INF/blocks/wiring.xml.

The wired blocks have an attribute "location" which only supports file locations:

<block id="http://mycompany.com/webmail/1.3.43"
          location="./384938958499">

which could point during development whereever you want to:

<block id="http://mycompany.com/webmail/1.3.43"
          location="../../../bla/myBlock">

I'd propose http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/test/

> Can the block deployer deploy blocks yet?

Unfortunatly not, will take me some more weekends.

> Do you have any deployed
> example blocks somewhere?

no

> I think that it would be best to have some deployed blocks with wiring
> that are checked in into the SVN, possibly in within the block-deployer
> area.

either here or at trunk. svn:externals will be our friend. (I'd put them  into
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/test/)

> Then I could use that as an external svn link into trunk for the
> testing. By keeping the example deployment in the block-deployer it will
> be easier to keep the block deployer and the block manager in synch.

the contract is the XML schema (cob-schema and wiring-schema). As long as they
don't change, there shouldn't be any problems on both sides.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc