cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manually specifying a mounted sub sitemap's context
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:03:23 GMT
Jochen Kuhnle wrote:

>Hi Sylvain,
>
>I agree that generated sitemaps are a somewhat more sophisticated use of
>Cocoon. However, I think it is a nice feature to have. My main reason for
>this is that I want to hide the nuts and bolts of sitemaps from site
>maintainers and just want to give them a limited subset (or high-level XML
>description) for the one specific site that is easy to understand and
>maintain. So why not pre-generate it? So no-one ever forgets to do it!

Hmm... same use case as Gianugo. Is it possible for these files to be
changed directly on the live site, or is this part of some kind of
deployment operation?

>I found that it is quite efficient to generate the sitemap dynamically.
>Since the sitemap-pipeline is created by a developer who knows more about
>this stuff (including caching) than a maintainer, I think we can assume it
>will be cacheable. Of course optimum support here would be to have the
>map:mount code write "DANGER! Your sitemap pipeline is not cacheable" to
>the log, but I don't think this is necessary.
>
>In addition, I can think of use cases where specifiable contexts might
>come in handy even for "normal" sitemaps. One is that you maybe want to
>differentiate access rights to sitemaps from access rights to content.
>With a specifiable context, you could move all sitemaps into a special
>sitemap-directory (or tree), separate from the content, and still avoid
>ugly directory traversal prefixes to content files (<map:generate
>type="jx" src="../../../path/to/the/content/directory/page.jx"/>). You get
>"nicer" sitemaps, and you just have to set file permissions on two
>directories (the sitemap and the site directory) instead of each and every
>file.

What you need here is a global variable that can be used as a prefix,
thus writing <map:generate src="{global:base}/page.jx"/>

And if you find it too verbose, what you need is the sitemap to be able
to define it's own context (i.e. <map:sitemap
context="../../../path/to/the/content/directory">, see my previous post)
and not have this context be defined externally.

Sylvain