cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manually specifying a mounted sub sitemap's context
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:51:41 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 9 avr. 05, à 19:21, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> ...Cocoon is sometimes too much powerful and people use too much
>> "cocoon:" dynamic URLs when other systems would require to dump
>> something on disk, and this can lead to overly complex and and very
>> unefficient architectures.
>>
>> So, although we may accept a new "context" attribute (I'm currently
>> -0.9 for this), I'm -1 for accepting dynamically generated sitemaps...
>

> Hmm...sounds a bit like the arguments against XWindows when it was
> created: at that time most people couldn't afford the system and
> network resources used to run it. But the "processors and networks get
> faster all the time anyway" attitude made XWindows a very long-lasting
> and powerful system.
>
> So, although dynamically generated sitemaps might be risky
> performance-wise today, I don't think we should block them.  People
> might find brilliant uses for them - we just have to warn our users
> about potential bottlenecks.

Well, at work we currently have to maintain and evolve a project
(written elsewhere) where people have written a gazillion chained
pipelines with "cocoon:" everywhere where a simple Java class would have
done the job. A nightmare to understand and maintain.

And seeing <map:mount src="cocoon:/blah"/> seems to open dangerous doors
to me...

That being said, there's another issue about the proposed "context"
attribute: who's responsibility is it to specify on what context will a
sitemap operate? Is it the <map:mount>'s responsibility or the sitemap's
own responsibility?

In other words, should it be:

  <map:mount src="foo/bar/" context="baz"/>
and
  <map:sitemap>

or
  <map:mount src="foo/bar/"/>
and
  <map:sitemap context="baz"/>

My feeling favors the second form, as allowing to specify the context
externally means that understanding what a sitemap does depends on the
mount statement.

Well, that's right that a sitemap already depends on the mount statement
for component definitions inherited from the parent. But now knowing
what "blah.xml" means in <map:generate src="blah.xml"/> seems really
weird to me...

Maybe I'm just too conservative about this, but this doesn't smell good...

Sylvain