cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Manually specifying a mounted sub sitemap's context
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:21:47 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Hi Jochen,
>
>your idea sounds good to me. Can you please add a feature request to
>bugzilla with your patch?

Well, having dynamically generated sitemaps doesn't seem that good to me.

About Gianugo's problem: we had a discussion where it appears the
sitemap is the by-product of some higher-level XML description, hence
why he wanted to use "cocoon:".

Now using a pipeline as the sitemap source can have a tremendous cost if
that pipeline isn't cacheable, and in Gianugo's case I suggested him to
generate the sitemap on disk when the higher-level description changes,
which doesn't happen so often.

Cocoon is sometimes too much powerful and people use too much "cocoon:"
dynamic URLs when other systems would require to dump something on disk,
and this can lead to overly complex and and very unefficient architectures.

So, although we may accept a new "context" attribute (I'm currently -0.9
for this), I'm -1 for accepting dynamically generated sitemaps.

Jochen, can you elaborate on your use case?

Sylvain