cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Directory layout problem with htmlunit tests
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:11:49 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Or unit/functional. That's actually the distinction isn't it?
>

> Yep. That definitely sounds better.
>
> But after more thinking I not sure we actually _need_ to make the
> distinction: what about having HtmlUnitTestCase create upon first use
> an embedded Jetty running Cocoon? This way we don't need to run it
> separately and the process can be completely automated.
>
> The only problem may be to find an available port (8888 may not be
> always available) but it's fairly easy to find one before starting the
> servlet engine on that port.
>
> Thoughts?

It doesn't solve the problem at hand, but it is possible to do
functional testing of Cocoon without servlet. I have started to build
some functionallity for that, that I'm using during VPC development. See
src/test/org/apache/cocoon/SitemapTestCase.java and examples under
generation.

This far I'm using the MockEnvironment, but it needs to be developed for
making it usable in more cases.

As Cocoon is supposed to be environment independent I think it is better
to do functional testing without servlets. It also simplifies testing to
not have to start a servlet.

/Daniel