cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The value of src/core (or lack thereof)
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:32:13 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 7 avr. 05, à 12:39, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>>
>>> ...Since we recently added support for other component containers
>>> _inside_ ECM++, what is now the real value of src/core? Not much IMO.
>>>
>>> So I propose to remove src/core and move all its content to src/java...
>>

>> +1
>>
>> Should we also deprecate the direct use of ECM++ in some way,
>

>> and encourage people to use other containers at the application level?
>>
>> -Bertrand
>

> We should IMO not deprecate it in the meaning that we are going to
> stop support it. Considering the amount of user code that probably
> depends on the Avalon framework we should support it for a long time.

+1. Avalon interfaces are and will be for a long time important pieces
of Cocoon, and we have in 2.2 our own implementation, that along with
hosting user components is also the hosting infrastructure for other
containers.

So although user components may slowly move away from Avalon APIs, the
"container of container" will have an increasingly important role.

> But we could certainly encourage people to use other containers in our
> documentation, if we think that our support for that already is good
> enough (haven't tried it yet).

+1.

Sylvain