cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple block instances
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:34:16 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>>> Another case is if we follow the method of handling the profile info
>>> for a portal block that Reinhard proposed. If we want to use two
>>> portals under the same Cocoon the portal block will be deployed in
>>> two instances with different implementations of the profile contract.
>>> Also here is the question is how we differ between the two instances.
>>

>> Let's assume that you want to deploy two custom blocks that are based
>> on the portal block. Doing so leds to two different blocks (-->
>> different block IDs) which both extend the same block. Both blocks can
>> use the same profile block to be customized or each gets its own -
>> depends on your requirements.
>

> If we compare the situation with concepts from Java, my view was:
>
> Java: You download a class with unique combination of name and namespace.
> Blocks: You download a block with a unique URI.
>
> Java: You call the constuctor of the class possibly with parameters and
> get an object with an unique object id.
> Blocks: You deploy the block and get a block instance with a unique (in
> your Cocoon) block instance id. During deployment you give it parameter
> values and connect it to other block instances.
>
>                                     --- o0o ---
>
> I guess that in your view there is no istantiation, you subclass and
> have everything "static" instead.
>
> Both views will solve the same problem but in different ways. With your
> view we might want to have tool support for automatic subclassing ;)

It should be as simple as writing a new block.xml and make a .cob out of it.
btw, I heard of some project called Lepido .... ;-)

After reading your mail I thought a bit about block instances but IMO they make
things more difficult: where to put the 'constructor parameters', URI resolving
and maybe more stuff. Maybe we really need them but this will be clearified
after we set up some usecases using a working prototype.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc