cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] composition vs. inheritance in blocks
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:11:00 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> I have given some examples of how a user could use some adapted form of
> MI to build applications based on a number of blocks, so I'm interested
> in your view about how to build blocks based applications.

I can't add much to what Stefano already has said:

"You install "Linotype2", is a real block and it requires "Linotype Skin", "JCR
Repository", "RDF TripleStore". The block manager goes to the block library on
cocoon.apache.org and finds a list of possible blocks that implement those
interfaces and that are known to be compatible with the version of the block you
are now installing."

Except that not the BlocksManager but the BlockDeployer will install blocks,
that's the vision:

  - reusability
    --> skin can be used by more than one block)
    --> develop functionality *once* and reuse it in many applications
  - versioning
  - development will become much easier because you can wire locally
    available development blocks
    e.g. I want to use the latest cForms block in *my* project I simply
    point in the wiring.xml of *my* project to this block. There are
    no difficult deployment cycles!

And quoting Stefano a second time: "what is the best way to use those features
in order to achieve what I need". I don't know what will be the best way to use
all those features. When we have a working prototype we will learn a lot and
best practices will evolve.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc