cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] The block protocol
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:42:50 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> is resolved in the same way as an ordinary external block URI. To make
> this possible the role of being a super block must be identifiable
> among the connections in the wiring info. Maybe by reserving the name
> "super" for this case.
>
> WDYT?
>
> /Daniel

A few  thoughts here (that aren't necessarily directed at you):
1. I may have missed some points in this discussion. When the email gets
to be  long or quotes previous nested emails in their entirety I tend to
just move on and ignore the post.  So, as a rule I would recommend
keeping posts as short and sweet as possible.  If you'll notice, there
have only been a few participants in these discussions. Maybe its just
me, but I wonder if others aren't jumping in with their thoughts for the
same reason.
2. I've noticed a few discussions that are mainly between you and
Reinhard with other folks posting occaisionally. Although you two may
come to agreement on some ideas, given item 1 I wonder if it actually is
the concensus of the community. Maybe I'm wrong though, and maybe most
of the commtters just aren't interested.
3. I've had a real problem with the previous "blocks" discussion and how
it used the Portal as an example.  I'm not sure that it is actually
understood what needs to happen with the portal to make it into a "real
block".  The issue with the portal is that the framework (what would be
the portal block)  requires quite a few definitions, both in components
and in the sitemap. These definitions must be provided by the portal
implementation. If the portal implementation must provide the
definitions then there really is no need for a block protocol as there
is nothing in the portal block to invoke, other than the sitemap
components provided by it. In message
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111245388030013&w=2,
Reinhard said "The block "portal" only contains pipelines calls which
the block "profile" provides in its sitemap

Portal block
------------
- requires "MyProfile" that implements "profile"

<profiles>
  <copletbasedata-load
   uri="blocks:profile:/load-global-profile?profile=copletbasedata"/>
  <copletdata-global-load
   uri="blocks:profile:/load-global-profile?profile=copletdata"/>
   ..
</profiles>

The problem with this example is that is not how the portal works, nor
would I ever want the portal to require that a block with a specific
name be present as this prohibits two portal implementations from being
present in the same webapp. In fact, these definitions must be in the
application, not the portal block.

Ralph