cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Mieth <>
Subject Re: Do we want a GUI installer?
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:11:43 GMT
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:40:49 +0100
Upayavira <> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
> Thanks for this. Does this installer install Hawron specifically? Or
> is it about installing and configuring Cocoon? I suspect these two are
> mutually complementary.
> Regards, Upayavira

Hi Upayavira,

the installer will install only Cocoon. You can used it from Hawron or
as single application/webstart application (independent from Hawron).
The installer could be build without hawron, with little work on the

It can download/unpack/configure blocks/building  a cocoon-release.
You can point to an existing Cocoon source installation and skip the
download/unpack parts, so you can configure the blocks and do a
rebuilding of Cocoon.

Internally there is simple an InstallManager, which handles
InstallComponents (the step-panels: welcome, download, ant ...) and can
be configured with an xml file. Adding/repalcing of components from
other should be easy.

The localization is done by property-files, so someone can add or
edit  language-files.

On the website the installer available as webstart.

I personally think a good block-editor is needed for building the other
step are quite simple.

If there is interest, I would move this installer out from hawron to

Best Regards,

View raw message