cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java components in blocks
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:08:22 GMT
Le 14 avr. 05, à 17:33, Ralph Goers a écrit :
> ...Frankly, I'd love to see how this will even work.  If someone could
> explain how the cron block can be a block without exposing components
> then maybe I could understand.  I really want to understand how this
> could apply to the portal block, but the cron block is a lot
> simpler...

Reading these discussions after the fact, having Blocks provide only
sitemap components seems to make a lot of sense: it looks immediately
useful, understandable and Cocoon-specific, whereas yet another
(potentially complicated) general java component mechanism sounds a lot
like reinventing the wheel  (I'm overly simplifying here).

About cron and similar blocks (JMS, embedded database server, etc.):
thinking of them as unix "daemons" might help fit them nicely in the
concept. Conceptually, I think such blocks need an initialization
mechanism, a reconfiguration interface (Transformer?) and a status
interface (Generator).

Basing the blocks concept on sitemap components (the grep sed ps ls awk
sort of Cocoon) and "daemon components" (the cron mysql sendmail of
Cocoon) might help find the right balance here.

-Bertrand