cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:12:20 GMT

On 15 Mar 2005, at 09:14, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Where shall we draw the line between "supported" and "unsupported"? Is
> it really the "two committers rule" that I applied above?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy you are being pro-active about this.

However, I see several items on the "unsupported" list which are IMHO
important components of Cocoon, or are blocks that I use regularly in
my work. eg. chaperon, jms, naming, repository, webdav, xmldb (and
others). In most cases, the fact that they do not currently have >2
supporters does not effect their quality and usefulness.

On reviewing this list again, I see several blocks that I have worked
on that I probably should have put my name to, and I notice several
blocks that I know people actively care about, that they have not put
their name to.

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of having "supported" and
"unsupported" blocks, but I would hate to useful work being sidelined
by not attracting usage or new contributions.

> Another thought: maybe we should add another "state" called "sample".
> "tour" and "petstore" could be "sample" blocks,  as well as a future
> block that contains all samples.

It is possible that querybean is a candidate for the sample block. My
aim for it is that it will become a really simple way to plug searching
into any project. Something I raised before, was that I think we will
see more and more reusable "mini-apps" built with Cocoon and these may
require a new classification.

regards Jeremy

                                 IT IS NOT FROM ME

                         Always check the label, folks !!!!!