cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: core logging
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:36:39 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>> Most people will agree that the most useful information ever to appear
>> in core.log is the bit where it writes out all request parameters,
>> request headers and session information.
>

> No, I won't :-)

ok I was more talking from the user/developer perspective, rather than
the core developer perspective. I've been using cocoon for 2 years now,
and honestly, all i ever look at is core.log to debug the incoming
request, access.log to assess response times or sitemap.log to see how
cocoon resolves matcher wildcards and {1} etc.

>> Possible solutions
>> 1) Configure the cocoon component with it's own logging category eg
>> core.cocoon or cocoon.core, keeping the cocoon-logger parameter
>> somehow as catchall logger
>

> This makes sense to me, so now Cocoon object will have own sub category.

cool, thanks.

>> 2) Changing line 568 in Cocoon.java from
>> getLogger().debug(msg.toString());
>> getLogger().info(msg.toString());
>

> No, this does not make sense. It's debug information, so it should stay
> at debug level.

depends who's looking at it :) But at least there is now a means for the
interested to easily separate it out.

It would be nice to have an easy to trace logfile where one can
follow sequentially how a request is processed, what main components are
involved, when they are called, how they affect the response etc
(basically the things you can find out with a debugger).
This would also make it easier for beginning cocooners to learn the core
cocoon concepts (sitemap,matchers,gen|tran|ser|act,flow,forms) and how
they play together.

Can something like this be implemented with clever logging targets only?

Jorg