cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject Re: [RT] Who may follow a retired Anteater?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:28:37 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Il giorno 09/mar/05, alle 08:01, Bertrand Delacretaz ha scritto:
>
>> Le 9 mars 05, à 00:11, Alfred Nathaniel a écrit :
>>
>>> ...Does anybody have practical experience with Canoo WebTest which
>>> speaks
>>> for/against this product?  Or any other product?  Or is nobody
>>> testing?..
>
> I used WebTest for a while, but in the end I found that writing tests in
> XML is way too verbose and clumsy.

I had the same experience... later on I moved to HTMLUnit ([1]), which
offers a lot:
1) Different browsers emulation.
2) Retrieving of XML pages as DOM Documents (org.w3c.dom.Document) for
further processing by Java.
3) Being based on JUnit, the "green bar" works in Eclipse for HTMLUnit
as well.
4) Calling of Javascript functions embedded in the HTLM page from the
Java test driver.
5) Availability of Jelly ([2]) as scripting language (well, I opted for
Java, so I cannot comment on this feature).

But, best of all, it lets you re-create the whole browser environment
within your Java test driver, which, IMO, is better suited for
functional testing than the request/response paradigm of HTTPUnit.

I was sceptical about using Java for testing, but the Java/JUnit
environment in Eclipse gave me the "quick" feeling of a scripting language.

Regards,

[1] http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly/

    Luca Morandini