cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject [docs] legacy tab for 2.1 documents
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:28:52 GMT
I have added a "legacy" tab to the new docs, as a temporary storage
place for existing 2.1 documents.

You can see some examples under the "legacy" tab at
http://brutus.apache.org/docs/publish/cocoon-2-2/ provided the site has
been regenerated in the meantime (supposed to happen every few hours),
or by running Forrest 0.6 locally as explained in
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/22NewDocumentsGeneration

The idea would be to work as follows to review the 2.1 docs and move
the good parts to the new docs structure:

1. Copy all existing 2.1 documents under
src/documentation/src/content/xdocs, giving them names starting with
c21_ as for the few examples that I did. Update the site.xml
accordingly.

2. For each of these docs, add a meta.xml file containing
<source>legacy.21</source> so that they are identified as unreviewed
legacy documents in the published site.

3. Review each document and either promote it to a 2.2 document, reuse
some of its content in a new document or decide not to keep it. I'd
suggest keeping as little content as possible as official 2.2 docs, so
that we're able to maintain it properly with our limited resources (but
that's another story).

4. When moving parts of a document, use a <moved> element as in
c21_introduction/content_en.xdoc (the site:concepts.html link there
doesn't work yet though).

Having all the 2.1 docs in this legacy tab helps make sure that we
don't lose any document in the process, and allows us to work in small
increments, tracked in SVN, to reorganize and improve the docs.

WDYT?

-Bertrand