cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Bidirectional relationships for blocks?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:33:39 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>b) Plugins or portlets
>I could imagine to bundle portles for the cocoon portal engine as simple
>blocks conforming to a cocoon portlet contract. So the portal block uses
>the portlet blocks, but in addition a portlet block needs access to some
>portal services.
>The same would apply if you would use the block concept to implement
>some kind of plugins.

I don't see this as a circular dependency. While portlets are certainly
dependant on the portal block, the converse is not true.  The portal has
a dependency on the interface that portlets implement, not the actual
portlets themselves.  Presumably, they are simply "looked up".  Anything
else would be like saying Avalon is dependent on Cocoon, which certainly
is not true.

Ralph