cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Bidirectional relationships for blocks?
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:34:54 GMT
I might be wrong but I think up to now we only talked about one block
depending on another block and this is then a one-way relationship.

But what if we need a bidirectional relationship? I have currently two
examples:
a) Skins
We briefly talked about one use-case for blocks: skins. You factor out
the layout of your application into a skin block and then can simply
switch to a different block implementing the skin contract. Now, what if
the skin block needs some information from the "application block" like
some user settings or whatever?

b) Plugins or portlets
I could imagine to bundle portles for the cocoon portal engine as simple
blocks conforming to a cocoon portlet contract. So the portal block uses
the portlet blocks, but in addition a portlet block needs access to some
portal services.
The same would apply if you would use the block concept to implement
some kind of plugins.

Does this make sense? Or is this FS?

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de