cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [docs] legacy tab for 2.1 documents
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:54:34 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> I have added a "legacy" tab to the new docs, as a temporary storage
> place for existing 2.1 documents.
>
> You can see some examples under the "legacy" tab at
> http://brutus.apache.org/docs/publish/cocoon-2-2/ provided the site has
> been regenerated in the meantime (supposed to happen every few hours),
> or by running Forrest 0.6 locally as explained in
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/22NewDocumentsGeneration
>
> The idea would be to work as follows to review the 2.1 docs and move the
> good parts to the new docs structure:
>
> 1. Copy all existing 2.1 documents under
> src/documentation/src/content/xdocs, giving them names starting with
> c21_ as for the few examples that I did. Update the site.xml accordingly.
>
> 2. For each of these docs, add a meta.xml file containing
> <source>legacy.21</source> so that they are identified as unreviewed
> legacy documents in the published site.
>
> 3. Review each document and either promote it to a 2.2 document, reuse
> some of its content in a new document or decide not to keep it. I'd
> suggest keeping as little content as possible as official 2.2 docs, so
> that we're able to maintain it properly with our limited resources (but
> that's another story).
>
> 4. When moving parts of a document, use a <moved> element as in
> c21_introduction/content_en.xdoc (the site:concepts.html link there
> doesn't work yet though).
>
> Having all the 2.1 docs in this legacy tab helps make sure that we don't
> lose any document in the process, and allows us to work in small
> increments, tracked in SVN, to reorganize and improve the docs.
>
> WDYT?

Betrand, many thanks for your work on the docs so far!

In http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/22NewDocuments there is a list of all legacy
documents. The list contains links to the raw HTML version of the document which
is available at http://people.apache.org/~reinhard/2.2/**.
After updating a document a comment should be added to the Wiki document and it
could be deleted as the group rights of http://people.apache.org/~reinhard/2.2/
where set to 'cocoon'.

Well, your suggestion would be helpful but means some work. I don't have much
time ATM that I can spend on moving over docs (it's not forgotten and even
better if others jump in!!!), but if you can do the integration into the new
Forrest repo, I'm +1!

If you have time for the integration of the legacy docs, please use the
documents in my home directory (Cocoon committers can read/write them using SCP)
as they are the merged versions of 2.1 *and* old 2.2 legacy docs. I've just
upoaded the site.xml (see http://people.apache.org/~reinhard/2.2/site.xml).

IIUC the tasks left are:

  - download http://people.apache.org/~reinhard/2.2/site.xml
  - use SCP and download all HTML docs from my home directory
  - write a script that transfers all documents into the new "directory-per
    document" structure
  - update site.xml (http://people.apache.org/~reinhard/2.2/site.xml could ´
    be helpful as starting point)

HTH