cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CForms] Repeater: why not hashCode for id?
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:20:35 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>This might be a stupid question, but why does the repeater need an own
>identity attribute on the objects contained in the list? If I bind my
>form to beans I have the hashCode of these objects which should be unique.

hashCodes are not supposed to be unique, even if the default
implementation in Object /may/ use the memory address as hashCode!

>But in all our samples we use an own "id" property. Could we simplify
>this or is there something that prevents this? Or doesn't it make sense?

Personally, I find this repeater binding stuff very complicated. I cases
where all data of the underlying application data are displayed in a
form, I use the simple-repeater binding that first destroys the
collection before recreating it from scratch. Up to now, it has
fulfilled 80% of my needs.

A suggestion I made once to simplify the repeater binding when using
simple-repeater isn't possible is to store the objects as attributes of
the rows they are bound to during load (see
widget.{get/set}Attribute()), and later use that information to recreate
the collection on save. I guess this is similar to what you suggest,
except it would use strict pointer equality (i.e. '==') instead of
hascodes which may not be unique.

Sylvain