cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Release process: "Version @version@ (@date@)" in "History of Changes"
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:33:07 GMT
Hi all,

I have been rarely on the lists in the last weeks. I even had to read
the changes file to know what's going on with Cocoon. :-)

But when reading the "History of Changes" [1] I saw the string "Version
@version@ (@date@)" instead of the release's version. Though the web
site seems not to be up to date, the release version of status.xml [2]
also has this string instead of the version. Now I had a look at the
Cocoon Release How To [3] and in my opinion the step with committing
status.xml is done to late:

B) The Release Process

*Set correct version information*

Change the version information in
src/java/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.properties by removing "-dev" and
eventually add new release information like m1, b1 etc. If this release
is a final version, change the "released.version" info to the new
version as well. And also change the version accordingly in
forrest.properties. But don't check-in this yet!

*Start next version*

Check the version in src/java/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.properties by
increasing the version information and adding "-dev" at the end, for
example m3-dev. Change status.xml by adding the release with proper
version and date and start a new release section with the placeholders.
Add a dummy action here. And also change the version in forrest.properties.

IMO this should be changed to:

*Set correct version information*

Additional: Change status.xml by adding the release with proper version
and date.

*Start next version*

Replace sentence according status.xml with "Change status.xml by
starting a new release section with the placeholders. Add a dummy action
here."

What do you think? IMO this should fix the web site when building the
documentation from released sources.

Joerg