cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinhard_po...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [ANN] Benchmarks in java scripting languages (rhino doing well)
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:51:07 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> This is the recent article that shows rhino is doing well:
>>
>> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2005/jw-0314-scripting_p.html
>>

> That's good news, but don't forget that our Rhino version (i.e. the one
> that will ship with 2.1.7) is a fork of a very old version. So we do not
> benefit from the increased performance of the new version.
>
> Time to definitely switch to the official Rhino after 2.1.7 is out!

According to my tests the performance gain of switching Rhino 1.5 to 1.6 is 2 to
3 percent. I don't think that this is a reason to switch.

We also agreed
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110660959130972&w=2) that we
leave in 2.1 everything as it is because of the small, but existing
incompatibilities between the two versions. Therefore I would be -1 on replacing
the old version in 2.1 - if somebody invests some work in suppoting  both
versions, I would be +0 (means I would like to see this but can't help.)

And not to forget, if somebody _really_ wants to use Rhino 1.6 in Cocoon 2.1 he,
can replace the Rhino jars as they are binary compatible.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc