cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Documentation system: Split data and configurations
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:52:11 GMT

It has become more and more a PITA that the Forrest extensions (flat structure,
Cocoon style, comments, metadata, ...) had to be copied into all Forrest
repositories. Whenever I had to change something, I had to synchronize my change
with all other already set up repos. Up to now I have created 4 repos:

/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation
/cocoon/whiteboard/doc-repos/global
/cocoon/blocks/supported/portal/documentation
/cocoon/whiteboard/block-deployer/documentation

To avoid this task of synchronzing my forrest extensions (custom sitemaps,
stylesheets, some resources), I split Forrest into a "data" and a
"configuration" part, e.g.:

data only ........ /cocoon/trunk/src/documentation/src/documentation
                    contains project specific docs and configurations
configuration .... /cocoon/trunk/src/documentation/src/forrest-configuration
                    contains global configurations, custom sitemap that
                    supports the flat document strcuture

The configuration part is mounted using svn:external and points to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/doc-repos/global/src/forrest-configuration/

for now. Does anybody know of a better location than the whiteboard?

BTW, my gut feeling is that with Forrest 0.7 and its plugins infrastructure, the
  svn:externals trick can be replaced again. I will look into this when Forrest
0.7 will be released. For now the solution is working well and saves me a lot of
time :-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc