cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Temporarily disabling svn fetching of blocks?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:09:42 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> With the new blocks structure, running "svp up" causes a lot of
> messages like
>
>   Fetching external item into 'src/blocks/paranoid'
>   Updated external to revision 158070.
>
> Which slows down the "svn up" a lot.
>
> Is there an easy way to tell svn to ignore some blocks for a while?

Not that I know, but I'm not an SVN expert.

> My gut feeling is that there must be a very easy solution right in
> front of my eyes, but I cannot see it ;-)

There is, we should move the cocoon/trunk/src/blocks to
cocoon/blocks-trunk. It will create some slight inconvinience at the
beginning as one must check out two directories instead of one and as we
have to update the build system somewhat.

But there are a number of advantages:

It will solve the problem you are facing, you just update the blocks you
are interested in, an update of cocoon/trunk will not affect any blocks.
If there are a group of blocks that you always want to update you can
create a folder and use svn propedit to make external links to those
blocks (see http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/EdgeRails for an
example). Subdirectories for core, supported and contributed would IMO
have been natural groups of blocks that you might have wanted to update
together, but you obviously prefered not to ;)

It will make it easier for projects like Forrest and Lenya, they can
just make external links to cocoon/trunk and the blocks that they need.
But maybe SVN doesn't follow externals in external projects so that its
not a problem anyway. We probably also want to support the scenario
where we have an external link to a Forrest block (for simplifying
doco), while the Forrest block might have an external link to Cocoon (to
simplify their development).

Also it will motivate us to make it easy to handle external blocks, as
all our own blocks become external.

/Daniel