cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:10:24 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 16 mars 05, à 19:11, Tim Larson a écrit :
>
>> ...I do not need to discuss more, as Upayavira captured my thoughts
>> on the matter very well.  Since we do not have a vote thread
>> started yet, my *opinion* is +1 flat structure, -0 directories.
>> (i.e. Strongly prefer flat, but would not try to veto directories.)
>

> Same here - I do actually prefer a flat structure, with enough metadata
> in block.xml (for example) to build a page with the status of each
> block. More flexible and easier to manage.
>
> Reinhard, you put my name in the "people who support directories" list -
> I do support whatever valuable work is being done, and classifying
> blocks via directories is valuable IMHO. But given the choice I prefer
> the "flat" option.

First sorry for misinterpreting you. I also withdraw my proposal of putting
blocks into a classifying directory structure (although I still think that the
community status is *the* classifying property). I don't want to waste any
further energy in this, as we have to do more important things.

If nobody stops me, I will put all blocks into
/cocoon/blocks/[block-name]/trunk/ and create a block.xml for each. It will
contain an element indicating the community status and for now *all* blocks get
the status "committed". If somebody wants to see a block somewhere else, he
needs to start a vote (and for this voting the wiki page will be very helpful ...)

So hopefully we can move on to some more productive work ;-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc