cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:49:55 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> On Mie, 16 de Marzo de 2005, 10:15, Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
>>
>>> So, what about a simple "the majority wins"? wrt to the directory
>>> structure? We do a vote and whatever gets more voices will be done.
>>

>> Good idea! Lets vote about this topic.
>

> Can anyone of you explain to me why it should be harmful following the
> proposed directory structure? I understand that some of you think that
> it is useless for you, but some of us (Carsten, Daniel, Bertrand, I, and
> maybe some others) appreciate this information at directory level.

I personally prefer a flat structure.

We are following a flat structure for our documentation - there we have
seen that hierarchies can be problematic on the source level.

But we can overlay heirearchies at a navigational level, and we can have
multiple orthoganal hierarchies covering a set of items in the flat
structure.

It has been said that moving directories around is likely to cause
confusion - where has my block gone? etc.

Build processes can read the meta info for a block and use it to both
build documentation specifying which blocks are stable, verified, etc,
and also package all stable blocks together, all contributed ones, all
verified ones, or all blocks relating to a particular task, etc.

The principal argument against putting blocks into directories is that
we cannot know now what is the most significant designation of a block.
Moving blocks into other directories is likely to be disruptive. Simply
adding another line into the meta-data file isn't likely to be disruptive.

There's my thoughts. Does that help?

Regards, Upayavira