cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:52:50 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> On Mie, 16 de Marzo de 2005, 10:17, Daniel Fagerstrom dijo:
>
>>Everything can be done in numerous ways.
>>
>>The directory structure is easy to understand, it is what we have
>>discussed at the list for quite a while, it is what Reinhard actually
>>have implemented and above all it moves us forward.
>>
>>There should of course be a metadata file for the block as well and
>>documentation generated from that. But AFAIK no one have started to work
>>on any such documentation functinonallity. So for the moment I think we
>>should focus on the *important* question:
>>
>>Which blocks do we support?
>

> Well, this is a hard question. I read all the mails related to this topic
> and still I don't have a decision:
>
> 1-"The blocks used for my company will be supported by me". I guess every
> committer already did that. So I don't see here a problem, but.....
>
> 2-"Blocks not used by 'me', but are interesting or have big potential
> success". This is the hard question. How I can know if a block has
> potential success between people?. Even we know that cocoon has potential,
> but a lot of people don't use it. I hope this illustrate what I have in
> mind.
>
> In my case, in the first fill of the wiki Block poll, I added some blocks
> that I don't need for my work and never used it, but I found interesting
> and already worked on them just for fun. For example, qdox.
>
> In the second raid, I checked other blocks where I already worked outside
> my own interests, just for the community follwing some bugzilla reports
> and I hope I can use some time in the future to support in this way again.
>
> I know we have a problem, people wants to drops some blocks from his own
> POV. But perhaps this blocks are used by other people.

I think this isn't that difficult. If someone wants a block being marked as
"supported" he has to call for a vote. This vote has to be well-grounded:

[Vote] Community support for block xyz

We (committer1, committer2, committer3) are working on block xyz and consider it
as stable. It provides support for bla, bla, bla, ... and comes with an
extensive suite of test cases. The interfaces bla, bla, bla are stable and the
implementation is stable as well and used in many projects.

[ ] mark block xyz as "supported"
[ ] block xyz isn't mature enough

Please cast your votes!

This vote shows that at least one committer cares about the block (he calls for
a vote) and he has to list good reasons why he thinks that it is stable
(community, interfaces and implementation).

Of course we can group a several of votes into one voting process to avoid
dozens of votings :-p

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc