cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:43:23 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>It is useful for checking that we don't break anything
>>and also documents our learnings about what the code does. Starting to
>>write test code for allready existing code just because it "should be
>>tested" is more than "a lot of work" it is IMO pretty close to wasting
>>time.
>>

>May I now say... "Don't agree at all" ;)
>
>It helps a lot(!) if you do refactoring.
>How do you know whether it's working like
>it was before? ...testing everything by hand?
>...well, now that's what I would call a waste
>of time ;)

If you reread the my message, you can see that we have about identical
opinions about both why and that testing is  useful for refactoring. ;)

Also I believe that it is a very good idea to write new code in a test
driven manner.

The point I wanted to make is that I don't think it is a good use of our
effort to start adding tests to existing code *only* because we would
like to approach 100% test coverage. It will mean that you write tests
without have any spcific usecase for them. OTH when you refactor or do
new development you know what parts you are going to change or what you
want new functionality you want to achieve, this makes it much easier to
write high quality test cases as you actually have a use for them.

So I think it is much better use of ones limited time to refactor parts
that are hard to understand or have unclear communication patterns
between components, and add test cases as a part of the job, than just
add test cases in general.

/Daniel