cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:39:25 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Where shall we draw the line between "supported" and "unsupported"? Is
> it really the "two committers rule" that I applied above?
>
> Another thought: maybe we should add another "state" called "sample".
> "tour" and "petstore" could be "sample" blocks,  as well as a future
> block that contains all samples.

Yes. And as stated by Jeremy, samples could also include "mini-apps".

But the word "unsupported" conveys IMO a negative meaning that may not
be adequate. Some blocks have no attached names but contain
straightforward code (or even no code at all like the STX block!). And
although their initial developers may have left, acquiring the knowledge
of how these blocks work may not be that complicated.

So what we should do is have a closer look at those blocks we may be
interested in, and indicate if we consider them to be end-of-life or
dead-end of if we believe they could attract interest and people again
if we promote them a bit.

For this purpose, I suggest to add name in parenthesis to blocks we
believe in even if we don't have an intimate knowledge of their code.

Sylvain