cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cforms] Widget states in request-scoped forms
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:54:12 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>> Another idea I had is, that I could work on making the form object
>>> serializable and save the state in a hidden form field. The price to
>>> pay would be increased network traffic but the advantage of a
>>> stateless presentation layer wouldn't get lost. Hmmm the more I
>>> think about it the more I like this idea .... wdot?
>>

>> You should have a look at the XMLAdapter class in o.a.c.form.util. It
>> does handles form serialization/deserialization in XML. AFAIK it
>> doesn't keep state, but this could easily be added.
>

> Thanks for the pointer! This should be very helpful, if I go this way.
>
> Is there anything else that is necessary to _completly_ describe the
> state of a form, except the value and the "visibility state"? (events,
> validation errors, ...?)

Events are inherently transient (i.e. they are produced and consumed as
part of the processing of a request). Validation errors are part of the
global state of a form, as non-active widgets will loose their value and
any validation as they don't read their value on the request.

You also have to include <fd:repeater-size> in your form template so
that the size of repeaters is transmitted back and forth as a hidden input.

Sylvain