cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cforms] Widget states in request-scoped forms
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:36:29 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Bruno Dumon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:11 +0100, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>> if the widget is invisible, there is no request value any more and
>>> as the form is not saved in the session, the widget loses its value.
>>

>> Yep, though I'd say that's not a bug but a limitation. If you choose to
>> work stateless, there are some features you loose (for example, value
>> changed events won't do anything meaningful either).
>

> In particular the value changed event works for me as long as I don't
> change the widget's state. But you're right, saving the form in the
> request-scope brings some limitations.

Ah ok, I understand now as I missed the fact that you were using
stateless forms. Yes, in this context there are some strong limitations
on what you can use.

> I try to find these limitations and then I can decide together with my
> customer what we will do.

Yes. We could even add some code in CForms so that a Form knows whether
it runs in stateful or stateless mode and can then throw meaningful
exceptions when a statefull feature is used in stateless mode.

> Another idea I had is, that I could work on making the form object
> serializable and save the state in a hidden form field. The price to
> pay would be increased network traffic but the advantage of a
> stateless presentation layer wouldn't get lost. Hmmm the more I think
> about it the more I like this idea .... wdot?

You should have a look at the XMLAdapter class in o.a.c.form.util. It
does handles form serialization/deserialization in XML. AFAIK it doesn't
keep state, but this could easily be added.

Sylvain